Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Teresa Lorenz: More Than a Professor

To many people involved with Avila University, Dr. Teresa Lorenz is nothing more than a professor. Some students have seen her teaching in the classroom and her fellow professors know her as the Assistant Professor of Spanish. However, just as with everyone, there is more than one side to Dr. Lorenz. Outside of Avila, she enjoys reading, running, and spending time with her loved ones. Her teaching job at Avila University is just the tip of the iceberg. Hopefully people involved with Avila University will begin to see Dr. Lorenz as more than a professor.
                         
The idea of perfect happiness is something everyone strives to find. Dr. Lorenz, just as everyone else does, has a very specific idea of what would make her perfectly happy. “[I want to be] content with my work and personal life. Having them balance well with each other with sufficient time for relaxation. I feel like that’s an important part of being happy, is that you need to be able to relax and unwind.”
                                    
Something everyone faces in their lives are fears. Whether they control the person who possesses them or not is a completely different matter. Dr. Lorenz has a fear that she does not let manage her life, but this fear has still presented her with many obstacles. “My biggest fear is probably not having complete control. That’s not really achievable because there are always times when we don’t have control. And that’s what leads us as humans to stress. It’s definitely led me to stress about certain things.

“Another fear I have is speaking in front of crowds. [But I also have] ability to make funny corny jokes at the appropriate times in the spur of the moment. I guess it's a hidden talent because I only really do this with people I am extremely comfortable around like family and close friends.”

Dr. Lorenz works extremely hard as a professor at Avila University. She spends time in and out of the classroom helping students. “I definitely feel like she really cares about me as more than a student,” said Junior Logan Sterling. “She’s a really good teacher, but she also shows that she would be there if we ever need anything outside of class.”


Dr. Lorenz teaching a Spanish 2 class

“I think I’m a caring person and fairly understanding,” said Dr. Lorenz. “I think anyone who really knows me well knows I’m a caring, loving person. My friends and family have always told me this.”

While she works hard to form relationships with her students, Dr. Lorenz also works hard in all aspects of her life. However, she sometimes feels as if she works too hard. “I’m too hard on myself. I’m my own worst enemy. I always strive to achieve more. I think that’s definitely what I hate and like about myself. I always work really hard, but I never am fully satisfied with the outcome.”

Outside of teaching, Dr. Lorenz spends time traveling, reading, and spending time with her friends. “Traveling is something I really enjoy doing. Some people would say, ‘Oh, you have everything you need here,’ but I feel like it’s something I need to do. Just because there might be something I haven’t seen before, even if it’s only ten miles down the road.

“My favorite authors are Paulo Coehlo, Sandra Cisneros, and Julio Cortazar. Those are probably my favorite Hispanic authors. Everyone should read [something by them]. Oh, and J.K. Rowling. I love Harry Potter. I feel like [the characters] struggle with a lot, but they get through it. I see certain similarities in parts of the storyline that reflect struggles I’ve endured.

“I really enjoy getting to see my close friends. Even when we’ve been far apart or haven’t talked for a while, it feels like there hasn’t been a distance. I think the best quality for friendship in general is that no matter if there’s a distance, you’re all still the same. Distance and time can’t destroy a true friendship.”

Dr. Lorenz is very content with where she is in her life and where it is heading. “I never think of my life in terms of regrets. I think everything happens for a reason, and if something would have happened differently, I may not be where I am. I guess my motto would be ‘No regrets’.”


Dr. Lorenz is very passionate about her work. She spends as much time as possible helping her students with classwork. However, she is not only a dedicated professor. She enjoys spending time with loved ones, exercising, and watching her favorite TV shows. Outside of Avila University, Teresa Lorenz is more than a professor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment